Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Blessings Of Others!

This year our poor little garden did just about nothing, and I thought it might cause if my lack of time to be out there in it all the time with Baby Quinn and all! But the Lord has made sure that we are not lacking any veggies around here.
 We have been so blessed by our friends and church family with every kind of veggie you can think of, so much so that I've done lots of canning this summer.
 Here is just one day of the fun.

Summer Squash! 
I'd  never heard of canning squash before, but with all these beauties I set out to find a recipe that we could use.
It's Pickled Squash. we like the little bit that we tried before we canned it. so I'm really excited to have it this winter when the snow flies!
Washing the jars!

Salt and Vinegar bath!
 My Super little helper!
 The finished product! the squash is on the right, and the day after we made relish on the left!


We've also done beets and pickles and 4 kinds of jam. and put some other fun stuff in the freezer too!
Its been a blast for the kids and I to get to do this much canning and freezing this year. we are sooooo blessed. I've had fun learning to, as we are given new veggies that I've never canned before.
Still to go on the canning list is... tomato juice, salsa, corn, apple sauce, apple butter, apple pie filling and veggie soup. If I have lots of tomatos We just might try spaghetti sauce. I've been wanting to for a few years now, but never really had time or the energy to do it. and  you know, with school starting Monday I just might not get that whole list in. We'll see!
I'd like to try Chow Chow/ Last of the Garden. But I think I just might be the only one in our family that will eat it. so maybe in a few years I'll give it a try. :)
What have you been up to this summer? I hope you've been loving the great weather we've been blessed with!
I've got " Fall fever"  pretty bad already! with these cool evenings, all I want to do is relax and have camp fires! But we still have a few more weeks of summer to enjoy. and I know that right behind fall comes winter and I'm not wanting to rush into that just yet!
Have a Blessed day!

Blessings!

No comments: