Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Dusting Rags!

Lemon Dusting Rags!


I try to avoid using chemical cleaners if possible.
I'm trying to get everything in our cleaning box to be safe to use and wouldn't kill our kiddo's if they were to accidentally get it. Baking Soda, Vinegar, and Lemon go a long way!

These lemon dust cloths take just minutes to prepare and can be stored in an airtight jar until you're ready to use them. Sometimes dusting with a dry cloth does more harm then good as it moves the dirt around instead of catching it. These cloths are damp and infused with vinegar to help catch and kill the bugs at the same time. The addition of olive oil and lemon rind bring a soft polish to your furniture.
 You'll need six things:

1 cup vinegar

1 cup water

1 tsp olive oil

1 lemon rind

2 dust rags

1 glass jar with lid


Mix the vinegar, water, and olive oil together. Soak the rags in the solution. Ring out until damp-dry. Alternate rinds with rags inside your jar and seal the lid tightly.
Blessings,
Happy cleaning!!!


Do you have any natural cleaning solutions to share? I'd love to hear some new ideas!!!

3 comments:

aje said...

I love this idea, Carra! I am totally going to do this! Thanks!

My all time favorite cleaner is diluted tea tree oil. I fill an empty windex bottle with water and then add about 1/8 tsp of tea tree oil. I use it on my stove top, counters, fronts of cabinets, bathroom sink, tub, and the floors (hands and knees and a rag, but I am sure you can put it right into your mop bucket, too). I love the clean smell, its an antiseptic and also harmless in the diluted form. Be sure to keep the oil bottle safe from little hands, though!

What do you use in place of bleach and for window cleaning???

Laurie said...

I have found MULTIPLE uses for baking soda, vinegar, and lemon in our house! I'm trying to simplify, so I only use a few bottles for cleaning around the house (instead of multiple bottles of store-bought cleaners for various jobs). Also, having as much of a chemical free home as possible is my goal as well (of course it's a process as we slowly switch over). My latest discovery is how well baking soda works as a scouring powder in the sink and tub! I just sprinkle it throughout, and then use a rag and water!
I've been happy with the results the last few times I've tried it, but I found a recipe where it supposedly works better when added with borax and salt. Here it is:

1 cup baking soda
1 cup salt
1 cup Borax powder**

Mix all ingredients and store in an air-tight container. Use as you would use commercial scouring powder.

For cleaning the mirrors (and windows), I also use one part vinegar added to four parts water. And NEWSPAPER actually does a better job on the mirrors/ windows than paper towels! (You can add a little lemon juice into the solution to, to give a bit of a fresh smell.

I also use this same vinegar solution for soap scum and water marks in the shower, as well as on the bath and sink faucets. Really shines it up! :)

Laurie said...

Just an addition to the previous comment I left: As I was researching the cleaner I mentioned (with the baking soda/ salt/ borax mixture), I read that someone else commented: Just remember that Borax is still toxic (even in small doses, ESPECIALLY to infants) so keep cleaners like this behind child locks!

So, just wanted to be sure I didn't give the wrong info! So in the case that you wanted it to be completely child-friendly, it would probably be best to stick with just the baking soda (though it may take a bit more scrubbing) or baking soda combined with the salt... I'm going to keep experimenting! :)

Also, for tough water stains and soap scum, using straight vinegar (distilled white) will take it off easily, and then just rinse with water...

It's so fun to learn more about these natural ways to take care of our homes! :)