Friday, February 10, 2012

Homemade Yogurt!!!

I'm so excited to share how our Yogurt experience went!!
I was a bit leery about the whole spoiled mike thing, but it turned out great! Thankfully!

Here is the recipe I used. (I can't remember what web sight I found it on, I looked at lots!!! sorry.)

Homemade Yogurt
--8 cups (half-gallon) of whole milk--(I used unpasteurized, Because I know whats in it!!! :)  but do NOT    use ultra-pasteurized.

--1/2 cup store-bought natural, live/active culture plain yogurt (you need to have a starter. Once you have made your own, you can use that as a starter)
--frozen/fresh fruit for flavoring
--thick bath towel
--slow cooker
The Directions.
This takes a while. Make your yogurt on a weekend day when you are home to monitor.

I used a 4 quart crockpot.
Plug in your crockpot and turn to low. Add an entire half gallon of milk. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.

Unplug your crockpot. Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours.



When 3 hours have passed, scoop out 2 cups of the warmish milk and put it in a bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup of store-bought live/active culture yogurt. Then dump the bowl contents back into the crockpot. Stir to combine.


Put the lid back on your crockpot. Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy bath towel all the way around the crock for insulation.

Go to bed, or let it sit for 8 hours.


In the morning, the yogurt will have thickened---it's not as thick as store-bought yogurt, but has the consistency of low-fat plain yogurt.

Blend in batches with your favorite fruit. we did Blueberry/ Raspberry. and the Fave this morning Peanut butter Banana!!
  When you blend in the fruit, bubbles will form and might bother you. They aren't a big deal, and will settle eventually.









Blueberry/ Raspberry



Lets eat!!!
In the Beginning I thought it was a little thin, but after it sat in the fridge it was just about like store bought! 
It's so simple, but takes a while to do the whole process. but sooooo worth it!
The whole batch was about $2 .50 to make!!! so much cheaper to make then to buy, and with this I know whats in it!!! 

No comments: